Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowpocalyse



I’m battening down the hatches and doing a lil Blizzard Baking today. We’re expecting a Snowpocalyse in Chicago, and that’s snow joke!

I usually don’t do a whole lot of weather-fretting. I don’t even remember the legendary blizzard of ‘99. I have absolutely no recollection of it at all, so it must not have been more than a blip in my week that year. Our power lines are underground so they are rarely impacted by the weather. But I’m thinking today, what if the power goes out? What will we eat? And that thought led me to drag out the bread machine and make peasant bread.....which inspired me to make two dozen corn muffins....which gave me a yen to bake brownies....and then I experimented with a new beignet recipe, frying up 32 little fritters (minus the four that I ate with my coffee). One baking idea just snowballed into another.

Today would have been my grocery shopping day, so I don’t have tons of food items in the house. But if worse comes to worse, we can always survive on my baked goods and peanut butter for a week. Plus we have cereal. And some garlic croutons. Then there’s the pet food......in other words, we have quite a few edible options before we resort to cannibalism.

My boys are hoping for a Snow Day tomorrow, and I am assuming they’ll be off. Super Hubs thinks his place of work will shut down at noon, bringing him home by train from the city around 3ish. We may have a cozy couple’a days with a fire on the hearth and some lovely family time.

The pets are already prepping. The cats are cozying up in the afghan, and Rex is sunbathing on his rock, the lucky dude. And the dog....he’s just happy snuggled at my feet.

Snowmaggedon away. I'm ready!

1 comment:

sir james said...

I was tired of winter the day after Thanksgiving. We have no choice but to bare it's wrath.