Monday, September 15, 2008

"This is Mrs. H."

Life has felt a bit uncertain to me lately. It’s as if I am looking through fog; I can visualize the scene ahead, but it’s a little ambiguous and without clear definition. For a whole lot of complicated reasons that would take up another post and a half, I have felt kind of off…..a tad unsteady….less than secure. It has to do with changes in my life (Note to The Reader: Do not confuse this with THE CHANGE. I am far too young). And some odd circumstances and confusing complications. So recently, because of the uncertainty, I’ve been craving and cooking comfort food. Such as meatloaf and mashed potatoes. And macaroni and cheese from scratch. Chicken pot pie. Mrs. Field’s cookies. (Wonderful. Now I’ve gone and made myself famished.) I’ve been a culinary maniac, whipping away haziness with a whisk and an apron. And that has helped, in an odd sort of way. Except for the added poundage to my anatomy. That has not been helpful.

With that in mind, I have hence turned to comfort TV. I’ve been feasting my eyes on shows that soothe me with their mindless scenarios. Programs that bring me back mentally to the times in my life that were less complicated. Readers, I have discovered MeTv. And I’ve become addicted.

Last night Super Hubs and I enjoyed a marathon of “Hart to Hart” that I’d recorded earlier in the week. Whoever knew we would turn into such a wildly exciting couple, shamelessly gorging on a popular 80s TV show for the better part of a Sunday night?? It felt sooo naughty! And brought me right back to the carefree days when I had ginormous hair and nada-a-laugh-line.

I always wanted to be Jennifer Hart when I was a teen. I believed she had it all: A killer body, a doting, millionaire husband and the perfect home. She was gorgeous and generous and kind to animals. She never seemed to have to actually do anything, other than wear designer clothes and fight crime with her husband. No housework or career to worry her pretty head over. She was always happy and nice and never PSMing. And her hair….the way it was thick and layered and big. So very, very big. It was always perfect. Even if she was fighting a hooligan on the top of a speeding semi. Or was bound,gagged and stuffed in the coffin of a mummy in the bowels of a museum. She had great hair.

So I am grateful to Stephanie Powers, for developing the role of Jennifer Hart into a character that I wanted to emulate. One that got me, in the past, just a little bit excited about what the future might hold. The thought that tomorrow could be good. And for giving me, in the present, a bit of pleasure and comfort with my (non-millionaire-but-entirely-wonderful) husband, at a time in my life when I am feeling anxious about tomorrow. And for the reminder that tomorrow will be good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine is toaste cheese sandwiches and creamy tomato soup - that's good for all ouchies of the psyche. That was a great old show, I loved their driver.

Anonymous said...

Ah I warned you about watching tv. first the bob-bons,(remember when I warned you)next will be Oprah and then all is lost.

Kelly said...

Or cinnamon toast and hot cocoa.-)