Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The "C" Word

Little Squirt jumped into my car after school yesterday, with intensity.
“Guess what, Mom?!” he said. “I've got a really big secret that Ethan told everyone.” He paused for dramatic effect: “His mom said a SWEAR!! It was the “C” word.”

The “C” word??

The mature and godly mothers of my Christian parenting books would have told their sons to stop the gossip. They undoubtedly would have frowned upon the dirty-laundry-airing of another family, changed the subject, and queried their children about their spelling words.

But this mother was curious. “Little Squirt,” I said, “What is the “C” word?”

My 7yo learned forward toward the front seat, and whispered, “Crap.”

Hmmm. Interesting. Crap is actually one of my frequent-usage vocab words, and I was surprised Little Squirt did not recollect that. I utter it loudly when I bump my knee on the coffee table, and it actually has endorphin-boosting effects on the pain. I consider it in the “gray” realm of words, because if I am going to pick my battles, there are worse words I forbid in my home. But, in the first-grade school yard, Ethan’s mother uttering “Crap” was this week’s big, dirty, potty-mouthed secret. (Pun not intended.) This was huge! It was the grade-school equivalent of making the headlines for "In Touch Weekly."

I felt sorry for Ethan’s mother. The poor woman had no idea what an impact she had made in the first-grade gossip-mill that day! And now I’m going to have to be more selective with my verbiage the next time I feel the need to let the family know I just walloped my patella.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Several weeks before my daughter (my oldest child) was to marry we found ourselves at supper together. I told her that I believed I had already taught her everything she needed to know to survive and thrive. Except for one thing. I never taught her to swear. No, not those awful words that sailors use. The simple "D" word, the "H" word, and stuff like that. She needed to know how to swear. So laughingly we embarked upon the last few weeks of her singleness with me instructing her on the proper usage of a new naughty word every week. She was actually allowed to use "the word of the week" without repercussion as long as she used the appropriate context as defined by her father. That being ... me. By the time she stood at the altar and took her vows she was a well rounded woman that could hold her own in every situation.

It's one of our favorite stories/memories now, seven years later.

Kelly said...

Great story, Ron! LOL!! I'm going to ask Super Hubs to do the same for our daughter in the future.;)

sir james said...

I would guess, daughter could teach hubby. But of course we all know our teenager would never know those words don't we.

Kelly said...

Exactly what I was thinking, Sir James!