Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fun Cannot Be Overrated



My parents invited me for brunch at their home yesterday, in honor of my Uncle Peter and Cousin Emma. They are traveling from Vermont to Washington, where my cousin will relocate before beginning law school. She graduated from college Magna Cum Laude, and I am mighty proud of her! There are some super-duper-smarts in my family gene pool, and I have some exceptionally brilliant relatives. I’m not exactly sure what happened to me. I did not graduate from college Magna Cum Laude. But I did graduate Magna Suma Loudly. I was thrilled to be done with school, and whooped it up with the other nursing grads in a raucousy manner.

The College Experience for me was all about the socializing. I did not want to expend too much brain power.

**Exlicit Courtesy Warning: DO NOT TELL MY CHILDREN I SAID THAT OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!! **

My eighteen-year-old self figured out the minimal amount she needed to study in order to make a B average, and then carved that much into the little slice of the College Pie called “Study.” There was a also a tiny sliver for “Sleep,” and the remainder of the pie was for “Socializing.” That was how I rolled, and it worked for me. I pledged a sorority, moved into their house, and had the time of my life. It was altogether a good experience, and I have no regrets. Then I graduated after four years with my Bachelor of Science in Nursing and a job offer from a prestigious Children’s hospital. This was in the midst of a nursing shortage, so all the nursing grads landed great jobs. It was a good time to be a nurse.

But who cares, and what is the point of this post? I have no idea. I began writing it, hoping it would morph into something brilliantly insightful and Pulitzer Prize-ish. But that would require a lot more brain-power and smarts than I currently have or have ever had. (See above.)

I will leave my readers with this one profound thought: Fun matters. It really does. Create time for fun and you’ll be a happier person.

**IF YOU ARE MY COLLEGE DAUGHTER AND ARE READING THIS POST, THIS ADVICE WAS MEANT FOR THE GENERAL POPULACE AND NOT FOR YOU. STUDY HARDER AND CUT BACK ON THE FUN! I MEAN IT, MISSY!**

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun is always funner.

sir james said...

My how the tables have turned.

Tom Bailey said...

Fun does matter. I am always having fun.

Best regards,
Tom Bailey