Thursday, May 19, 2011

Them's Fightin' Words!


Little Squirt is a peacemaker by nature. He has no fightin’ bones in his body. One day he told his older brother about some boys on the playground that were lying on top of him and wouldn’t let him get up. His tougher, wrestler older brother offered words of counsel on how to manhandle these schoolyard hooligans. He had a long conversation with Little Squirt, complete with demonstrations, using terms like, “Sucker punch” and “Forearm smash.” After a moment, eyes wide with horror, my little boy said, “But that’s not the kind of guy I am! I don’t hurt people!”

It’s so true. Little Squirt is about as sweet as they come. His heart bled to find a lonely ant in the house, and he hurried to find him a snack. He won’t step on bugs. He gets weepy during sad Pixar films. His teacher says he’s the tender-hearted child who comforts the crying in his classroom. He’s kind and sensitive to the core.

That is why I was quite surprised to find his writing assignment on “My Life As An Ant.”
“It would be cool if I was an ant because I could kill enemies and take their heads off.”

Apparently, my sweet boy has an Ant Alter Ego. Who knew??

2 comments:

SuperHubs said...

He's also been a T-rex, ninja, Spiderman-PowerRanger combo...

JimF said...

Get him some Ant Man comics!