Friday, October 26, 2007

Date Night


Today I am jumping for joy. Floating with elation. Jubilant. Can you guess why? No, not because a new Super Walmart just opened in our town. (Although that’s good news. My gosh, the place has everything and is as big as O‘Hare! I put three miles on my pedometer just trying to find dish soap.) I am beaming with delight today because it’s DATE NIGHT! La la la de da de da. It’s Date Night, my favorite night of the week.

I love my children deeply, God knows I would jump in front of a train for each one of them, but occasionally I need a break. So Super Hubs and I, pretty much without exception, clear Friday evenings for our Date Night. I covet that time with him to catch up on our week, breathe deeply and just enjoy being together. My own personal sanity depends upon this weekly ritual of ours. It really does.

And tonight I have planned the evening, although he does not yet know this. I have done some research and found a cozy, intimate little out-of-the-way private establishment that I bet you’ve never patronized. And it fits our budget, which is low-ish at the moment. I will surprise Super Hubs with dinner tonight in our Master Bedroom!

A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine, who has amazing artistic gifts, helped me decorate our Master Bedroom. (Well, truthfully, she decorated while I sat on my bed sipping Pepsi, and watched her do her magic. Which worked out well for both of us.) Now for the first time in my 18 year marriage, I love love love my Master Bedroom. It’s beautiful, serene and elegant, thanks to my very talented friend. My spirits lift every time I enter.

On the wrought iron table that sits in front of our bay window, I will serve a fan-tabulous meal of coconut-crusted tilapia with mango and papaya (a frozen ready-to-eat, actually, but it does take some effort to push the microwave buttons), mashed potatoes and salad. And perhaps we’ll open a bottle of wine and toast another week gone right. We’ll ban the kids to the downstairs, light the candles, put on a little light jazz, and have a lovely, romantic dinner.

Then later, if we’re really feeling wild, perhaps I’ll drag Super Hubs out to the new Super Walmart and get a little early Christmas shopping done. While wearing roller blades, because, I tell you again, that place is ginormous!

So if you happen to see Super Hubs today, please don’t tell him about our surprise dinner in the Master Bedroom. Hopefully he won’t read this post until tomorrow.

No comments: