Thursday, October 25, 2007

To My Beautiful Friends

I had tea this morning with a small group of women, treasured friends. We shared personal insights on a book we’ve been reading together. I left with my heart feeling full at the transformation I see in them. And hopefully they see in me.

So this post is for each of the girlfriends in my life that have chosen the difficult paths of growth and change. You know who you are. You touch me with your openness and vulnerability. You’ve decided you want to give your children the irreplaceable gift of a whole and healthy mother. You refuse to pass on the brokenness in your upbringing. You allow God to work on your heart in bits and pieces, even when it’s agony. You don’t stay stuck. You keep focused on the goal.

I see you becoming gentler, softer. You carry yourself with a new kind of quiet confidence and strength; more sure of who you are. I love to see the joy in your eyes as you begin to realize how beautiful you are, how gifted. It’s thrilling to watch your creativity become unleashed, like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon to soar the skies and dance on the flowers. You are becoming more and more who God intended you to be.

I, too, am a work in progress. And you are my inspirational heroes. I love you, my girlfriends! Way to go!!

The old woman I shall become will be quite different from the woman I am now. Another I is beginning. (Amandine Dupin, 1804-1876)

No comments: