Sunday, October 28, 2007

Trunk or Treat


Last night we went to some friends’ for dinner, and then out to a Christian concert. We heard Todd Agnew, Rush of Fools, and the adorable and gifted Joy Whitlock. It was wonderful and refreshing to our spirits. Unfortunately, however, because we got home quite late, I did not get nearly the beauty rest I need to be authentically believable as the character I am playing tonight, Sleeping Beauty.

We have “Trunk or Treat” at our church this evening, where people decorate their cars, dress up in costumes, and pass out candy to the visiting children. For the second year in a row, my family has teamed up with another to re-create a fairy tale castle, complete with crocodile-ridden moat to keep out the annoying visiting children that are looking for candy. (Just kidding about the moat. We really love children and besides, the church would frown upon an overt act of hostility like that.) I am Sleeping Beauty again this year, and Super Hubs and Little Squirt shall be knights. My teenagers will also be present at this event, doing their best to avoid our castle and pretend they don’t know us.

Last year was the debut of our two-story extravaganza made out of refrigerator boxes painted blue. Have you been to Disney World? Cinderella’s castle ain’t got nothin’ on this one! I hate to brag, but it was pretty clearly one of the best “trunks” on the church parking lot last year, for which I can take absolutely no credit. All the hard work was done by the other couple and Super Hubs. I just had to throw on my pink costume and tiara, and join the fun.

I am really hoping beyond hope there’ll be a Disney Talent Scout present tonight who’ll hire me on the spot and fly me down to Orlando, where my life will be spent posing for pictures taken by visitors to The Happiest Place on Earth. I really must figure out how I can get paid to act like a princess. One can dream.

So now, because I am a firm believer in “Method Acting,” I shall spend the next few hours dozing on the couch. Just to get into character for tonight, of course.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Always appreciate the chance to work with the princesses. Prince Charming on the other hand...