Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hello, Bottle Of Dreams And Aspirations!

I am Goal-less. Or, to be Politically-Correct, “Goal-challenged.” Or “Goldenly Un-Goal-Oriented,” if you are the Glass Half-Full Sort. I actually didn’t realize this until the other morning when we had a friend over for breakfast. She had come to pick Super Hubs’ brain about getting her Graduate Degree. My friend is almost twenty years younger than I, and has her whole sunny life ahead of her, filled with dreams, ambition, and wrinkle-free skin so far. It’s just all Happiness in her corner.

As I was hearing her process her next five years, and her next decade, I came to the grim conclusion that I have absolutely no aspirations. None. Is that bad? I have goals and aspirations for my children, and goals and aspirations for my husband, and I even came up with one for my cat: ”Hit the litter box when you pee, buddy. Or I’m cutting back on the catnip.”

To be fair, however, I do have two short-term goals. My Daily Goal is to make it to dinner without needing a nap. And my PMSing Goal is to get through the week without slapping a stranger. Currently I feel those are all that I need.

I have a friend who is my personal Health-Food Pharmacologist. She’s the smartest Health-Food person I know. And she is prescribing some frog oil and cat’s patella and INS or some such for me. And I’m hoping they’ll help me with my two current goals, and, if I’m lucky, will clear out the cobwebs in my brain and help me to reach a little farther. Maybe dream into my One-Year Future Self. Or my Five-Year Future Self. Who knows? I’ll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Super hubs said...

I think goals are over-rated. Especially if a healthier aspiration is to loll on an (unspecified) Hawaiian beach.

Ron said...

i absolutely loved this blog. nice.

oh, and good luck to the cat.

sir james said...

Just put your arm out and follow your thumb.
Poor Super hubs still has island fever and there is no cure. Maybe a party would help.

JimF said...

I'm pretty sure that it is in Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo where we see the masterless samurai throw a stick in the air at a crossroads. That stick chooses a direction and adventure ensues. At the end of the movie, he does it again. Maybe think of this as an "ambition" resting period, because life has a way of throwing these sticks in our path and giving us adventures?

Kelly said...

Maybe I can take my Ambition Resting Period on the beaches of Waikiki.