Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Apocalypse? I'm Ready!

My grandmother used to stockpile beauty supplies. When I’d visit her home, I’d find a multitude of jars of Noxema, and hoards of her beloved Facial Oil Blotter packs. Her dresser drawer was packed with her favorite Muguet. I believed she was preparing for a sudden event of Apocalyptic nature, when getting out to shop would be difficult, and at least she’d face the forces of evil with a fresh, oil-free complexion and reeking of LiIy-of-The-Valley.

My dad has also bought in bulk for years, way before Costco shopping became all the rage. My mom would stealthily bring me bags full of toothpaste and toilet paper, imploring me not to tell my father. “Good Lord-I don’t know where he expects us to store these things!”

I attributed the compulsive buying of my relatives to, simply, aging. But now I notice I am beginning to engage in the same behavior. And it is starting to make sense to me. Every time I shop I pick up another bottle of my favorite hand cream. My appendages would not survive the brutal winter without it! You can never have enough tubes of tooth paste stored under your bathroom sink, and I’m certain my dentist would approve. And the Carmex lip balm I apply before bed- what if, God forbid, I were to run out?? I’d have to face my pillow with than dewy-less lips! That cannot be!!

I’m starting to scare myself.

No comments: