Wednesday, October 22, 2008

His Goodness is Beyond

I know that my God is good all the time. But sometimes His goodness jumps out at me and grabs my soul and causes me to pause and notice and celebrate. Just like the faithful maple tree that guards my home. I pass it by several times a day, barely giving it a second thought. But this week it has turned a vibrant red, and I find myself slowing to look and drink in its brilliant color. God has felt “vibrantly red” to me, this week, like the maple. His goodness has been remarkable and outstanding and entirely intimate. And oh how I have needed that!

I had heard, last weekend, of a news story about a little 6-year-old boy named Cole who had been abducted at gunpoint and taken from his home. There was apparently a link between a drug gang and the boy’s grandfather. The details didn’t matter to me. All I focused on was the fact that a little boy, the very age of my own little boy, was taken from his home by some violent and dangerous men. He was missing, and undoubtedly terrified. And in grave danger.

Something stirred in my heart, and I began to connect deeply with little Cole. I felt a burden of prayer for him so heavily, it was as if I’d suddenly added chain mail to my attire. God waved the news story in front of my face, so to speak, and said, “This one’s for you, Kel. Pray hard! I’m counting on you!” And so I did.

For several days, I was drawn to Psalm 91. I read it back to God, day and night, imploring Him to remember His word, and protect this little boy. Was Cole scared? Cold? Hungry? In pain? I worried, and I cried out to God, and I prayed. “Be his refuge and fortress, God. I trust you to do that.” (vs.2) “Cover him with your feathers. Give him a refuge under your wings. Let him not be harmed!” (vs.4)

I was awakened at 3am Saturday morning, my face wet with tears. I felt an urgency to intercede for Cole, as if he were my own son. “May he not be afraid in the night!” (vs.5) “Send your angels to protect him right now!” (vs.11)

The next morning, I read God’s promises, “I will rescue him….I will protect him…..I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him my salvation.” (vs.14-16) I begged God to answer those prayers. “Let this little boy find his way home this very day, God! Please!” Peace flooded my heart as I felt a gentle reassurance from God; as if His hand reached down from Heaven and patted me on the back and said, “The little boy will be okay. It is done.”

I cannot fully articulate the jubiliance I felt the next morning, when I read that Cole had been found walking a suburban street by a bus driver on Saturday night. His abductors had let him go. He was returned to the arms of his overjoyed parents, safe and sound, 3 days after his abduction.

And so I celebrate the compassion of our Father, who cared so much about a very little 6-year-old blond boy with glasses. He heard his cries, felt his terror, and grieved at the injustice. His eyes searched the earth, seeking the attention of some intercessors who were paying attention, and used them to pray this child home. I am beyond humbled to have been part of that.

God is good. So overwhelmingly, fabulously, beautifully good. It is abundantly clear to me this week! And I am grateful that He reminded me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I heard about Cole, but just that he had been found after the fact. Thank God indeed!

A.B. said...

God is so good! That is an awesome heartbreaking story. So glad he's home safe and sound.