Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud To Be An American


I went to an Election Party last night at a local sports bar. My friend had been invited, and I went as her “date” since both of our husbands were supposed to be working. (Super Hubs actually ended up coming home early, so he had to watch the news with the dog in my absence. The dog was an ambivalent citizen, and fell asleep on the floor before all the returns were in.) I’m not an Activist, and I’m generally pretty private about my political opinions. But I went to the party, had a glass of wine and some potato skins, watched the returns on the bar TV, and vastly enjoyed the company.

As Obama won his 270 electoral votes, I was privileged to be sitting next to an African-American man who said to my friend and me, “I grew up in the 60s, when the nation was segregated. Now we’ll have a black man as president. I can’t believe it! I’m going to have to go sit in my car and cry for joy.” It was an honor for me to be with him as we watched history unfold together.

However you are feeling today about the results of the election, God is still God. And Obama will need your prayers for protection and divine wisdom as he forges ahead as our Commander-in-Chief.

“There are Christians who have hysterical reactions, as if the world would have slipped out of God’s hands. They act violently as if they were risking everything.
But we believe in history;
The world is not a roll of dice going toward chaos.
A new world has begun to happen since Christ has risen…..”

(Jesuit Father Luis Espinal, assassinated 3-22-80 by paramilitary forces in Bolivia.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great moment, I'm sure you will cherish it always!