Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gloom and Doomers

What is up with the National Bureau of Economic Research’s announcement that the U.S. has been in a Recession since last December??
My opinions on this announcement:
1.) DUH.
I admit that I am no Economic Genius. (I actually can barely balance my checkbook. Which is why I use a debit card. It’s also much quicker than scrambling in my purse to find a pen when there’s a lot of hostile people behind me in line at the checkout, and then I can never find anything in my purse anyway but some used tissues and old receipts…...but I digress.) I believe that, even among the Economic Non-Genius’ among us who can barely balance a checkbook (Such as myself. See above.), a great big DUH.
2.) What about engaging in The Power of Positive Thinking?
As soon as the Economic Experts made this announcement, stocks took a deep dive. And parents who were planning on indulging their male tots this Christmas by buying them Spike The Ultra Dinosaur, will now return the toy. Which will cause many a tear around the Christmas tree this year. And it’s all the fault of the National Bureau of Economic Research. FOR SHAME, You Children-Hating Donny Downers! What about The Power of Positive Thinking? What if the Expert Schmexperts had instead chosen to indulge in a teeny-weeny white lie? What if they said something like, “Not only are we NOT in a Recession, but the economy is greatly flourishing!” “Things are on the upswing, by golly!!” “The economic future of America looks bright and cheery!! Therefore we highly encourage each citizen to have a champagne toast!!”
Then, I wholeheartedly believe, my friends, that stocks would have vastly risen and consumers would have gone on a Celebration Shopping Spree, subsequently pulling us out of a Recession into a Time of Prosperity. That’s my opinion. (But the experts didn’t ask me.) Again- a great big DUH.

DISCLAIMER:
*The above is the snarky opinion of the writer and not intended to be insensitive to people who are truly struggling financially during this period. May God bless you.
*This commentary is also not an intention to malign any employee of the National Bureau of Economic Research or Returners of Spike The Ultra Dinosaur. Or Recession Champagne Toasters. I believe Champagne Toasting is entirely appropriate in any economy, frankly.
*Bear in mind that this right-brained writer dropped her college Basic Math course because of a failing grade and took the easier community college Accounting class in its place. And only got a B-.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate to disagree with such a lovely lady but,the greedy oil companys put the entire world into this down spiral and if you would like to see its effects, come visit here. Our small local newspaper just this AM had FORTY pages of foreclosers listed. Things are a lot worsse than what you are seeing. sorry but it'sad.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I became anonymous but the above comment was made by me, Sir James in south east Michigan.