Friday, December 12, 2008

My Christmas Eve Adventure, Part II



So now it was Christmas Eve, the long-awaited day. The consummation of months of dreaming. I felt a nervous anticipation as I got dressed. Would I have the courage to go through with my plan? Could I pull off The Great Adventure??

I told my mother that I would be spending the day with Kerry, but would be home in time for our Christmas Eve dinner. Kerry and I convinced her older brother to drive us into downtown Palatine and drop me off at the library. We fed him some convoluted story about me having an overdue book, and that I was to wait there for my mother. I gave Kerry a hug in the car, whispered that I’d call her after my adventure, and waved good-bye. As soon as the car was out of sight, I walked the block and a half to the train station.

I grabbed a train schedule, and stuffed it into my purple macramé purse. There was only 20 minutes until the next train. My heart raced as I asked the station agent for a ticket, but he sold me one without balking. I waited on the platform as the icy wind whipped my scarf around my face, but I barely noticed the frigid temperature. My heart soared with the knowledge that I was beginning My Great Adventure! Here was the fruition of weeks of planning. I was actually going through with it! I felt older, taller, wiser. I could accomplish anything! I was a near-adult! I was Queen of the World! “Stand back, little girl, so you don’t get hit.” The station agent yanked me away from the tracks, yanking my mind back into reality as well. I was only ten once again.

The nearly-empty train ride into the city took about an hour. Just a few weary travelers, some carrying wrapped presents, were scattered about the car. I found a seat on the second floor, rested my head against the window and watched the scenery. We crossed town after town, each decorated for the holiday. Arlington Heights. Mount Prospect. Des Plaines. Houses lit up, warm and welcoming. Wreaths wrapped around street lights. Cars packed with families heading to celebrations. Holiday Hoopla. The train was warm and lulling, and I closed my eyes.

“Last Stop! Chicago!” I jerked awake. We were at the station. I followed the others through the building and onto Madison Street. I grabbed my pink notebook from my macramé purse and read the directions I had written down, the last time I was here with my family. “Straight on Madison. Left at State Street.” I followed the throng of pedestrians through the city.

It was bitter cold that Christmas Eve. I shivered as I crossed the bridge over the Chicago River. I remembered taking this same walk a few weeks earlier with my family, heading to lunch in the Walnut Room. That had been such a fun visit, with much laughter and joviality. The city had seemed warmer and friendlier that day. Now the cold was raw and cutting, and the buildings appeared more towering. I felt very small. No one noticed me. I was all alone in Chicago, on Christmas Eve. I felt the first pangs of homesickness.

The walk to my destination seemed to take forever. But finally, turning onto State Street, I caught a glimpse of the Great Clock. Marshall Fields in all its glory! Nine stories of beautiful bliss! My spirits lifted dramatically. Even at the tender age of ten, I recognized a true shopper’s paradise. The building with its dark green awnings and animated Christmas windows! The famous landmark that screamed “Chicago!” It was a little slice of heaven.

I entered the building and drank in its beauty. Big gold ornamental balls hung from the ceiling, and familiar Christmas carols chimed through the air. I made a bee-line to see the famous tree, located in the Walnut Room. Dodging shoppers, I took the escalators to the 9th floor. The top of the tree would be visible there from a big window that overlooked the Walnut Room. I sneaked between people to get a front-row view. This year the tree was decorated in “The Nutcracker Suite” theme. It was as beautiful as I remembered it from my last visit! I sighed in deep appreciation. AHHHH……..How I loved Marshall Fields, with it’s amazing tree, Tiffany dome mosaics, opulent decor and luxurious merchandise! All stores everywhere paled in comparison, I believed. I was in love.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Wow. You actually did this? How long until you got out of the juvenile detention center?

Anonymous said...

Go brave Kelly!

Anonymous said...

That's my girl!

Kelly said...

Ur little convict??