Monday, December 1, 2008

Winter-Time

The first winter snow arrived yesterday as a guest, and I am an ambivalent hostess. This visitor has its charms, but I am hoping it won’t stay for long. It has made the landscape look picturesque, like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. But if it overstays its welcome it will quickly lose all appeal for me. I am now a tense winter driver, because of my Near Death Experience of last year. And I am an even tenser Mother Of A Teenage Winter Driver. And then there’s the constant battle of the Slush vs. Clean Kitchen Floor, instigated by my children and dog. (Big sigh.) I’ll quit complaining now. I have lived in the mid-west for most of my life, so I should be used to this.

The first snowfall is a poem-worthy event. And as I read this jewel by Robert Louis Stevenson, I thank the good Lord for a heated home, but I long for a nurse who will “wrap me in my comforter and cap.”
Winter-Time
Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left the skies,
At morning in the dark I rise;
And shivering in my nakedness,
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
To warm my frozen bones a bit;
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
Me in my comforter and cap;
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose.

Black are my steps on silver sod;
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
And tree and house, and hill and lake,
Are frosted like a wedding-cake.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

Ron said...

my raging ADHD tendencies make it nearly impossible to read a serious and deep poem. i'm much more in touch with the quick hits i find on twitter. read and run read and run. but every now and then i force myself ... and am blessed. thank you for sharing the beauty of this piece of poetry. 5 years ago i memorized nearly every word of a henri nouwen book. these days i'm struggling to keep from deleting oswald chambers from my smart phone. (somehow I think it will be less "smart" if i do ...)

may your winter bring you more hot chocolate than icy blasts. more fire place frolics than snow ball fights. and may the Jesus of your sweetest dreams wrap you tightly in His summers embrace.