Sunday, January 4, 2009

1001??

“Ramona The Pest” was my Hook Book. Mrs. Edwards, my beloved second grade teacher, read it aloud to the class. I would catch the eye of my BFF, Kim, from across the classroom, and we’d giggle together over Ramona’s antics. I equally loved “The Little House’ series, and “Pippi Longstocking.” Books began to captivate me.

My mother, a voracious reader with an English Lit. degree, raised me on the finest of classics. She introduced me to the “Anne of Avonlea” series, “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm” and “The Secret Garden.” I read “Little Women” four times before I left for college.

Nancy Drew and I had a fast friendship all through my childhood. She was my youthful perception of the ideal teenager: Pretty, smart, brave, kind, and a possessing a killer car. And her boyfriend was pretty hot. I collected 52 of her books, and they still decorate the top of one of my bookshelves; yellow spines in remarkably decent shape. Nancy was my hook into mysteries, and they’ve been my preferred genre for 30 years. Although I have since graduated to Sue Grafton novels, Nancy will remain my favorite crime heroine.

As a little girl, I ready anywhere I could: In the car, on the bus, in the bathtub, curled up sideways in the pink-flowered living room chair. During summers, I’d take my current book to “The Tree”, an old willow friend whose branches cradled me over a creek as comfortably as a lazy-boy.

I am still an insatiable reader, although I often stare helplessly at the abundant library shelves with an annoying case of Author Amnesia. What to choose? Who wrote that book a friend recommended? What was the name of that author I liked??

But I just acquired a book called, “101 Books For Every Mood.” It’s a guide to all kinds of books of all sorts of genres. Confusion Be Gone! One of my goals for the New Year is to take more time to read good books. So I’m hoping this guide will help.

I’ll let you know if I read anything truly fascinating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea! Or 1001 of them, lol! Keep us posted, Kelly!