Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Chinese Takeout, Anyone?

I cook dinner at least 5 nights a week. Usually 6. Good meals. I’m not a Culinary Slacker; heating up a frozen pizza and calling it repast. I make roasts, casseroles, soups, pastas and plain old meat ‘n potatoes. It’s not easy trying to please my family of 5! But I try, Lord knows. I’ll labor weekly by scanning my cookbooks, asking for kid-input, and trying to be creative. Cooking is a joy and a love language for me. On the good days, which is more often than not.

Then again, there are the evenings when I wonder why I bother. Like tonight. I made a tasty sausages-and-beans dish in the crock pot to be served with crusty bread and a salad. Butterfly waved a hasty good-bye and headed out to have dinner with a friend.
Rock Star took one look at the meal, and heated up a frozen chicken patty.
So I dished a spoonful onto the plate of Little Squirt, who scrunched up his nose and said, “Looks like vomit.”

(Big fat sigh of martyrdom.) I’m just grateful for the hearty appetite of Super Hubs.

3 comments:

Ron said...

My life is lived at Penn Station.

Anonymous said...

Man - sounds great to me, what kind of beans did you use? Was it spicy sausage? How about a recipe? A friend at work swears by the Rachel Ray books and said one night she served crispy tillapia, another night it was some kind of pasta dish, etc. I think I might check out some of those - I'm the family chef, actually.

Kelly said...

It was just brown' n serve sausages, 2 cans pork 'n beans, 7 oz. pineapple chunks, 2 tsp. cider vinegar, 2 tsp. brown sugar, all mixed into the crock pot. If you like sausage, it's really good.