Saturday, April 18, 2009

Surprise!



My husband pulled it off! He succeed in throwing me a Birthday party that was indeed a surprise.

The weather on my birthday was inclement; cold and drizzly. Super Hubs sweetly took the day off work and bought me breakfast at Burger King. Not because he chose to lower the bar of Birthday Breakfast Standards for husbands everywhere. The choice of the restaurant was mine, chosen because I only had a short amount of time before a meeting, and a craving for cheesy tots.

Later, some dear friends treated me to a spa pedicure which I enjoyed immensely, and left with toes painted pink and dotted with flowers. Then I came home and relaxed with a book. And that would have been enough. It was cozy and lovely to curl up on my denim couch and just read; a rare guilty pleasure for me. But we were supposed to meet a few friends for dinner at a local pizza joint. I took my time getting ready because I was sleepy and relaxed after my marathon reading session. Super Hubs kept trying to hurry me a long. And, in retrospect, that should have clued me in that something was up. Usually it is I who do the “hurrying along” of Super Hubs.

We arrived at the restaurant, and toddled along to the big room in the back to meet my friends in anticipation of a quiet evening. But that all changed with the flash of a camera and 40-some-odd voices bellowing, “SURPRISE!” I was thrilled: All my friends together in the same room from my various walks of life! There were people whom I have known for decades, and others for only a number of months, but all are very loved.

We gorged on my favorite margherita pizzas, and baked goods made by my friends; red velvet cupcakes and lemony treats. And I held several homies hostage until the restaurant closed and the workers swept around our feet. I did not want my party to end.

It was wonderful, and I was blessed. And I am so grateful to be married to the most thoughtful man on the planet. (In my biased opnion.)

4 comments:

JimF said...

Happy 39th Birthday Kelly! :)

sir james said...

Ha we about it all along.

super hubs said...

Everyone knew but didn't tell! I'm officially out of surprises.

Kelly said...

Thank you all. I was very surprised!=)