Monday, August 10, 2009

Kiddieland



I begin grieving the end of summer at the start of August. The month always flies by so quickly. It’s crazy! Super Hubs and I jam-pack into August all the outings we intended to do all summer but were lax, for one reason or another.

We took Little Squirt to Kiddieland a few days ago. Kiddieland is Chicago-area’s oldest amusement park, having opened in 1929. It’s geared to youngsters belonging to the 10 and under crowd. I have a very faint memory of attending a grade school friend’s birthday party at this very place. Every child growing up in Chicagoland ought to visit Kiddieland once. It’s a classic.

We arrived to find a ginormous line wrapped around the parking lot. The park, sadly, is closing down for good at the end of the month due to a family feud and some hot mess. It must have been the reason that every child in the state of IL plus all of their cousins were there with us. It was insanely crowded! But my child would not be thwarted. Long lines or no, he dragged us around in the hot sun to every attraction possible. We sampled bumper cars and roller coasters, ferris wheels and log rides.

Amusement parks bring out Little Squirt at his very best. He was rocking the true Carnival Ride Spirit with his boundless energy, indomitable enthusiasm and positive mental attitude. He should seriously consider a career as a carnie.

I, however, came to the realization that I am too old for amusement parks. The heat, the long lines, empty ketchup packet holders and subsequent naked hot dogs, did not bring out my true Carnival Ride Spirit. It brought out my inner Crankmeister. At one point, while Little Squirt was cruising on a Mars mobile, I sought out a park bench to rest my weary back. I shared the bench comfortably with another woman at the other end. But then a third woman inched her way between us into a teeny space where no adult human backside should ever have gone. Subsequently, she booted my booty clear off the bench. Really now?!!

But at the end of the day, it was worth every miserable moment. Little Squirt had the time of his life, and memories were created. His joy was contagious. We shared cotton candy on the car ride home and it was sensational, as cotton candy can only be.

2 comments:

sir james said...

Kelly, I don't know how you do it but you have a way of bringing back memories. Thanks

Super Hubs said...

It sure was neat to see such an old-timey place, and to experience it with someone who was their exact target - a youngster between 5-9. It was somewhat odd to be at an amusement park with only tired parents and little ones - no teens! Boy, did he have fun- and so did I - I just needed extra time to peel my death grip on the ferris wheel bars.