Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oh Please, Let It Be True!


I went to a Seder last week, held by a Messianic Jewish congregation made up of Jews and Gentiles who believe that Jesus is the Messiah foretold by the Hebrew prophets. Rabbi Dan led the Seder, and it was one of the most spiritual moments of my year so far.

Besides the beautiful story of Passover; the holiday commemorating God’s deliverance of the Jews from slavery in Egypt, the congregation then recognizes Jesus as the Lamb of God whose crucifixion allows us to enter into new life with God. The Passover story, the traditional food, and the warm, welcoming fellowship reminded me of this: At the core, I wish I was Jewish. Messianic Jewish, to be clear. And here’s why:

-The Jews get to be God’s chosen people; the blood line through which Jesus was born. How cool is that?
-They can claim ancestors such as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Let me just say that none of my ancestors were mentioned in the Bible.
-They deeply know their roots, and I admire that.
-They inhabit the story of the Israelites from season to season, becoming intimately familiar with God’s plan of redemption. They remember it; they live it; they teach it to their children.
-The community that I witnessed at the Seder was close-knit and family-like, and I believe Christians churches could learn from them.

And here’s a little-known fact about me: I think I have some Jewish blood going back to my Czech European roots. My aunt, who was in the midst of a genealogical study before she died, told me this. I can only hope.

No comments: