Sunday, May 9, 2010

Kung Fu Kelly To The Rescue


Mothers of America- It’s our day! Let’s own our Motherhood with pride, put our feet up on the couch and expect to be waited on hand-and-foot. We’ve earned it, for Heaven’s sake! This is especially true for the Single Mothers. They are the true heroines, and I hold them in high regard.

Motherhood is my most worthy calling, and I’ve loved almost every minute of the past 19 years. I didn’t enjoy middle-of-the-night feedings, or public tantrums or teenage drama. But the mothering moments that stretched me to my physical and emotional limits are overshadowed by the millions of snapshots that gave me unadulterated joy. There are so many of those, thank you, God.

I often wonder how my children will remember me when I’m gone. What will they say about me to their children? And on my worst days, I wish I could enter their minds with a big fat eraser.

But I got a glimpse of Little Squirt’s heart at his school’s Academic Night last week. There was a Super Parents Wall in his classroom, in which the children renamed their parents, and gave them Super Powers. There, in the center of the wall, was a hand-drawn picture by Little Squirt, of a blond lady wearing pink, standing in a pose that would make the most agile stork jealous. She stood on one leg, the other stretched out in the air in a perfect L. Her name was Kung Fu Kelly, and her Super Power was “Doing Yoga.” (Has my child seen my embarrassing rendition of Warrior II??)

But I will be Kung Fu Kelly for my children any day, fighting off the world’s evil with my Super Power Yoga! If that’s what it takes to keep my babies safe, you bet that I will.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kelly! <3 May God bless you and your family forever!

SuperHubs said...

And I was just plain Daring Dad. I think.