Monday, May 3, 2010

And She's Home!



Just as I began to adjust to a testosterone-heavy house, my daughter came home again. She finished her first year of college already. It’s crazy how quickly that happened! One day late last summer, we dropped her off, and then I cried for the month of September, and now she’s home. And in between those months, I parented two boys, applied for a job I didn’t really want and then turned down, buried my father-in-law, went to FL, took in a cat and returned the cat, ran many miles on my treadmill, and ate a lot of tapioca lunch pudding. I did other stuff, too, but those were the highlights.

My husband, my youngest and I made the marathon drive to OH and back to reclaim Butterfly last week. Super Hubs was a Man On A Mission, and the mission did not include rest stops. But I needed sweet tea, and fortification, and then subsequent stops because of the sweet tea. And Little Squirt cannot sit in a car for 6 straight hours without a break lest he’d climb the ceiling. So the Driving Nazi allowed me 7 minutes per rest stop breaks, and Little Squirt and I had to scramble in and get our business done promptly. Whew. The pressure!

We made it to OH, and Butterfly blessedly had all her gear packed up. We loaded the van with some help from The Boyfriend and The Friends, and we were back on the road in 45 minutes. Fourteen hours from when we left our home in the morning, we pulled into our driveway. We were home with our daughter!

I am thrilled to have her back with her myriad of hair supplies, and friends who call day and night. She adds a lot of energy to the household. And she is adjusting to living within the family structure again, as we figure out curfews and boundaries. She may be leaving again soon for a job in OH, so I’m holding her being here loosely. But in the meantime, it’s wonderful having all three of my babies sleep under the same roof.

No comments: