Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Beach Reads


My appetite for books is insatiable, especially when I am in Zen Vacation Mode. I have finished 7 of my 11 beach books. People have been asking me for titles, so here they are, along with my little reviews:

THE FICTIONS
The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
This is my Book Club’s pick for the month, and definitely one of the best books I’ve read this year! I loved it for so many reasons, and cannot wait to dish with my Book Club girls in a few weeks. I devoured this book through 6 states on the drive down, and a few hours on the beach. It’s about Black maids who for white families in Mississippi during the beginning of the civil rights movement. It’s beautifully written, unfolding the story through three different voices. It opened my eyes to a slice of history in our country that I don’t like to think about. I writhe at racism and social injustice. But this book pointed toward hope, love and powerful motherly influence.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Another page-turner that I couldn’t put down! This novel was also told through two different voices; a Nigerian teenage orphan, and a British woman. They met during a horrific experience on a beach that forever intertwined their lives and changed them. This was another book that, after I read it, made me appreciate all the good that I am blessed with. I now want to read Chris Cleave’s first book, INCENDIARY. A woman on the beach was reading that one and highly recommended it.

Black Out by Lisa Unger.
A vacation would not be a vacation for me without an assortment of yummy thrillers, and this one did not disappoint me. A happily-married mother of a preschooler has a past. That’s all I’ll reveal. The story is full of flashbacks and twists and turns. It was an ooey-gooey, stay-up-late-to-finish kind of read. One that gave me delicious goose-bumps from my sunny beach chair. I love it when I discover a mystery writer with more titles to her credit. I had come upon Lisa Unger's name in a book review, couldn’t find that exact book at the library, but picked out this one instead. If you love thrillers, check this out.

THE NON-FICTIONS
Praying With The Church by Scot McKnight
I picked this up at a retreat I attended last spring, hoping to learn more about fixed-hour prayer. This book succinctly describes the What, the How and the When, and examines the different styles of prayer in the Catholic and Protestant churches. I found it very helpful.

Together In Prayer by Andrew Wheeler
Okay, I may be biased because I am good friends with the author, but I believe I am reviewing from a place of truth. This is a must-read for any church small group! I have been involved in many church groups over the years where the community prayer time is chaotic and confusing and feels empty and competitive. Andrew writes eloquently about how to pray effectively in community, giving very practical guidelines. He is really helping to shape a culture of unified, life-giving prayer in our church, and I am thrilled he can now share this with the masses through his book. May many churches be blessed through him!

Sabbath by Wayne Muller
If there was a book during this season of my life that I would imagine God dropping down from Heaven to land on my doorstep, this would be it. A friend loaned this to me, probably because she received a Divine Whisper in her ear. "Give this to Kelly and soon!" This book is definitely one of the best books on the Sabbath that I have ever read, giving suggestions throughout of how to create sacred time, space, and rest. I need to run out and buy a copy for myself, and then make a plan for a weekly Sabbath in my harried life. Yes, God, I heard you!

In The Name Of Jesus by Henri Nouwen
This book was homework for the Spiritual Formation program I am engaged in, but I’m grateful for the push to read it. Henri (whose books I adore) writes about Christian leadership from a vastly different viewpoint than I usually hear from the pulpit. He writes about Christian leaders' temptations to be relevant, spectacular and powerful, and how this is a contrast to the life Jesus led. I'd love to believe that church staff lead from an outflow of their spiritual formation. I'd also love this to be required reading for Christian leaders. Henri was wise, humble and godly. He clearly practiced what he preached.

And that’s my list so far. I loved them all! Now excuse me while dive into Snowflower And The Secret Fan.......

No comments: