Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Employer Tutorial, Anyone?


Project Pandemonium continues and I’m frazzled....

I am just not good with having Workerbees buzzing all over my home. I never know what to do or say. I’m trying to take it all in stride, but it’s not been easy. Here’s a little-known secret about me: I am a very private person. I know; odd. You’d think that a blogger would be all about Exhibitionism, but actually it’s Selective Exposure. Having strangers crawl all over our inner chambers and use my toilet and view my linen closet gives me the heebie-jeebies. It really does. My privacy’s been invaded and it makes my skin crawl. I don’t feel free to exercise or scold my dog or fold clean lingerie in their presence. I’m neurotic that way.

Am I grateful they are here to fix our mess? Absolutely! Do I have confidence they’ll do the job well and be finished soon? Okay, here’s where I’m gun shy. These are the men who dry-walled my cat. I have a secret fear they’ll be here until June, and we’ll be several pets short when all is said and done. But they are polite to me, and uber friendly to my 6yo who follows them around and asks if he can "help.”

I’m feeling a compulsion to feed them, and I know that sounds weird. But people who visit my home get fed. I cook for my guests. It’s what I do. No one leaves my domain hungry! So I’m getting the yen to fix the men a souffle. But is that appropriate? I have no idea what is the social protocol for workers who’ve been intimate with my toilet. I offered them water bottles, which they debated in Polish and politely declined.I was embarassed. What were they saying? Did my offer sound cheap and presumptuous? Were they offended? Should I have given them a cigar and Guinness Draught instead? See?? I am not good with these things!

Do I engage them in conversation? Ask about their health? Knit them a sweater? Take tips from the lonely Frances in “Under The Tuscan Sun” and include them as part of the family? Or just leave them the heck alone?

I’m clearly becoming unraveled. I’d better go distract myself and bake something tasty. And then see if I can round up a friend or two to nourish. Then maybe I'll feel better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!