Monday, October 5, 2009

Brain Fog Alert

So far the fish oil that my friend recommended I take is working out nicely. I feel loser, more fluid, and I believe I swim better. But I needed to stop taking the supplement for mental well-being because it gave me hives. And that is not good, because I need to take something for my brain.

I fear I am going insane. Or getting dementia. I keep losing things. Like my phone, for one. I lose it constantly. And a leader of my team at church gave me a CD, and between the church building and my car, I somehow lost it. I looked all over the parking lot and all over my vehicle, and I simply couldn’t find it for three days. And then it mysteriously appeared on the floor of my car. And this was after I had already sent an embarassing email to the entire team, admitting that I’d lost the CD ten minutes after it’d been handed to me, and perhaps next time they should pin it to my shirt, just like a kindergartener, and could someone please be on the look-out for the CD or make me another copy? And then I found it, and had to send another mortifying email admitting that it was in the very spot where everyone had told me to look in the first place.

And now I’ve lost my binder. It was a big pink binder with a dozen years worth of paperwork in it for church ministry, along with some scandalous documents of a highly personal nature. (Actually there are no scandalous documents in it, but I thought if I said that, I’d trick the scandal-loving peeps into searching for it.) So I had my binder in the house one day in its usual place, and now it’s gone. Just gone. Gone along with my very last brain cell, which dried up last Thursday, I believe. I’m heartsick.

And besides generally misplacing things, I am riding a roller-coaster of moods, and I keep forgetting the names of movies. And I’ve been sending emails to myself instead of to others. I know what you’re thinking; I’ve always been that way. Diagnosis: Blond. But last week I got lost going to my friends’ house. I wound up in the wrong neighborhood, and part of the reason was that I was listening to an old Spice Girls CD and doing a little car dancin' and not being mindful of the street signs. But still. Getting lost going to a place where I’ve been a million times is weird. Even for me.

A friend of mine said that the years between 40 and 50 are hormonally fluctuating, and women can feel different from day to day. And that Brain Fog is very normal at times, which is also an outcome of the insomnia I’ve been battling. And that women throughout history have navigated perimenopause without alot of drama. I surely hope that is true. I don’t want to end up greasy-haired and holed up in my neighbors’ bushes, like a celebrity tabloid story.

So, my blogger friends, if you have any suggestions for any kind of supplements designed to make my dull brain sharper, I am open to suggestions and willing to try. If I can find my way to the vitamin store again, that is.

2 comments:

sir james said...

My dear girl, nothing in the store can cure the empty nest blues. You must do it.

super hubs said...

If the folder is in the house, it'll be found- probably a cat is sleeping on it, though car dancin' is always the culprit.