Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Loving Literature


It’s my Year of Living Selfishly, and I’m trying to do some things that I’ve always wanted to do but never thought I had time. Or I’ve intended to do them Someday. Later. My father-in-law’s death made me realize that I need to stop and smell the lilacs a bit more and turn Someday into Present Day. So I am taking up yoga and saying YES to the random vacation and trying to eat more Indian food. (I absolutely love curry.) And I’m going to splurge for my birthday and buy a fabulous painting to put over our bed. My self of last year would have balked and thought, “Why waste money on a work of art that very few people will see?” But my current self in the Year of Living Selfishly says, “My husband and I shall see it every night. The blues and yellows are the color combo that soothe my soul the most, so we’ll indulge.”

Another thing that I have always wanted to do is join a Book Club, but it felt like a luxury that my schedule could not afford. But, in this Year of Living Selfishly, I decided to start up one myself. I invited several friends that I know share my passion for reading. They are interesting, knowledgeable, and read a variety of genres. They are the friends who hand me a copy of novel and say, with sparkling eyes, “You have got to read this!” Or they listen with interest when I describe a book I’m enthralled with and ask, “Can I borrow it when you’re done?”

Our little group met last night, and discussed The Girls of Riyadh over Thai food and wine. I thoroughly enjoyed dishing about the book and hearing my friends’ perspectives and learning and growing. It was an evening of celebrating three of my life-long favorite things: Friends, books and food. I had so much fun that I kicked myself for not doing this a decade ago!

I found a fantastic book club website that gives all kinds of tips and ideas, and book recommendations. We are going to meet monthly, taking turns choosing the books and meeting place. If you are a book lover, I highly recommend joining or founding a book club.

“I cannot live without books.” (Thomas Jefferson)
I am so glad to have found some comrades who feel the same!

1 comment:

Ron said...

I read a book once. Green eggs and ... uh ... something. It was pretty good.