Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Oh, Father Time- How Could You?


Butterfly and her boyfriend spent the past 5 days at home, squeezing in some time with us during Spring Break before her Lacrosse practice gets underway. We spent Friday night as a family, watching dvds of the kids as babies. My thoughtful Super Hubs had all of our family videos converted to dvds as a Christmas present for me. It had been years since I’d seen these movies of the kids, and I came away with two conclusions:
1.) Some of my hairstyles in the past 2 decades should be illegal.
2.) It’s crazy how quickly time passes.
As I watched my Past Self hold babies, celebrate holidays, and vacation, I wanted to reach into the tv and grab those years back and slow them down.

The little pig-tailed strong-willed beauty I watched toddle around with a sand pail now goes to college two states away. And when she comes home for her quick visits, I have to share her with family and friends. She’s away, more than she’s here.

The sweet, solemn infant boy with exotic eyes who lied around like a lump still lies around like a lump. But he’ll be getting his Driver’s License next month, and he just went to his first High School dance with a date.

And my last child, the one whose babyhood I was going to savor to make it last forever? It didn’t work. He’s now 7 going on Middle Age and wants to shave. He believes he’s too old to cuddle since he’s in first grade.

Sigh. Where...when...how did life go by so quickly when I didn’t want it to? I loved those moments of young motherhood! Are the best years gone?! I’ve been wrestling with these thoughts all week.

Okay, Time. You will not scoff at me! You may win in the end, but I’m not going out without a fight. The years to come (and, please, God, let there be many) will be blessed. This I know.


"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today."
-- William Allen White

1 comment:

JimF said...

Great blog. I'm not sure what happened - we certainly did not give permission to our children to grow up, did we?