Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Let Me Entertain You

I woke up this morning with some physical yuck-ification brewing throughout my body: Sore throat, swollen glands, general feeling of malaise. I had every intention of resting, but I needed to go grocery shopping first……then I homeschooled my two boys. After that, I meant to rest on the couch for a while, but Butterfly (16) called from school, and said she was bringing 4 friends home for lunch, and would that be okay? I have always tried to welcome my kids’ friends into our home, so I said the affirmative.

That was the point at which my Insane Perfectionism kicked in. “Butterfly’s school friends for lunch??? Oh, let me pretend I’m Martha Stewart!” I madly ran around cleaning the first floor. I popped some pizzas into the oven, and set the table with my white porcelain plates and Tuscan glasses. I placed Country French Waverly cloth napkins into wrought-iron rings on the plates and fanned them artistically. I filled a glass bowl full of clementines, and a crystal pitcher with strawberry lemonade and fresh cucumber slices. I whipped up a batch of brownies, put a fire on the hearth, and Liz Story on the CD player. My scented candle lit, I sat down in an easy chair, feeling completely spent and feverish.

Butterfly came through the door a few moments later, followed by 4 of her friends. Their eyes grew wide. They descended on the table, gorging on the food, like a flock of seagulls on the remnants of a picnic. I heard snippets of conversation: “Are we supposed to use these napkins or are they just for decoration?” “This is like eating gourmet.” “My mom just gives us paper plates!”

In thirty minutes they were finished, and ready to head back to class. Butterfly came into the library where I was resting, and whispered, “Thanks a lot, Mom! This made me feel really special.”

So it was worth it. I am an Idiot who should be resting when I am sick and not turning my home into a Four Star Restaurant for a group of teens who are fine with plastic cutlery. But my daughter felt special for an afternoon. So it was definitely worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got any leftovers? Sounds like you made a real impression on the one that mattered, good job!

Anonymous said...

O my gosh,that was so thoughtful. As I was reading, tears welled up and I held them back. You see... I have a teen daughter and it made me feel like I should do something like that for her and her friends. Instead, I get them in and out or have them go to some other house. I love my daughter a lot but feel very drained at this time. Thanks Kelly for sharing your thoughts. It has been an encouragement for me.

Kelly said...

Thanks, v.j. Blessings!