Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bakery Back-Pedaling

“Where is my donut??” Feisty Little Squirt greeted me at the door this morning with this demand; big brown eyes flashing. Because of his congestion and loose cough, leftover symptoms of the flu, he stayed home from church this morning with his sister. As a consolation prize, we promised to bring back a donut with chocolate icing; his usual after-church treat.

Oops. We were negligent on that end. When church let out, Super Hubs and I became chatty. Actually, I became chatty with the masses while Super Hubs hovered on the outskirts, looking frequently at his watch and trying to catch my eye. But I had friends to catch up with! I have felt isolated all week because of the flu, and so my extroverted self was in her glory being gabby with everyone that would listen. And in my quest for the title of Conversation Queen, we forgot to buy the donut. An unforgivable offense in Little Squirt Land.

“We forgot the donut. So sorry! Can I make you hot chocolate instead?” I tried. Fast and furious, Little Squirt grabbed a dollar from my wallet and said he would go to the “donut store” by himself. Amused, Super Hubs and I glanced at the newspaper, while keeping half a watchful eye on our five-year-old.

In a few minutes, Little Squirt was in his winter coat, boots and mittens. “I’m going to the Donut Store now!” he said defiantly. “Okay, Honey, have fun!” I said. Puzzled that I wasn’t more concerned, Little Squirt said, “But I don’t know how to get there. Can you give me a map?”

“You don’t need a map. Just go that way.” Super Hubs pointed north. To which Little Squirt headed into the garage and slammed the door. And stayed there for about five minutes, in all his stubbornness. Then walked in, looking sheepish, dollar bill tightly clenched in his fist. But to save face, he said, “The Donut Store was all out of donuts.”
Conceding defeat, he sat down to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. The next best thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well played and a laugh riot - just excellent!