Sunday, June 21, 2009

Flight 1 To Honolulu


Aloha! I am blogging from the 12th story balcony ofthe Sheraton Waikiki in Oahu. My fingers are damp, frankly, because I get vertigo with high heights. And it’s a tad windy, so I’m fearing that I may blow over the rails. We’ll see how I do.

What is it lately, about Me and Vacation Travel that equals Adventuring of the Sort I Could Do Without?? We were supposed to fly out to Oahu from O’Hare on Friday morning. But there were storms; very bad storms with lightening and tornados. All flights were grounded. So we sat on our plane for 5 hours at the gate while the winds blew and hail struck with loud “pinging” sounds. Five hours later the storms had passed and we were ready to take off, but the Flight Attendant Crew had surreptitiously stolen away from the aircraft because of overtime or something. I have no idea how they sneaked away unnoticed. One moment they were serving us pretzels, and the next moment they had vanished like smoke, and our flight was threatened with cancellation. We were hustled off the plane while they looked for a new crew, ignoring my offers to serve the drinks so we could just take off for Honolulu, for goodness sake! But an hour later they had corraled some new Flight Attendants, including one who’d been previously a passenger, bless his sweet heart. And we took off, 6 hours late.

I had a moment of angst as we ascended through the bumpy clouds. I picked up my Bible, and turned randomly to Psalm 39. These words jumped off the page and into my heart, “You see me when I travel....” (vs.3). I relaxed and enjoyed the flight.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Funny. When I prayed for you He seemed to say, "For LOW I am with you always." Hmmm... :)