Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mahalo to Hawaii


......And I’m back since 5am Sunday morning! We had a good flight home from Hawaii, which was without incident. (Which, incidentally, is how I prefer my flights. Without incident.) And Super Hubs and I are now in Post-Vacay Grieving Mode. We look at the Diamond Head webcam every day to note the temperature (warm, always warm) and surf (beautiful waves always. Need I say more?). And we live vicariousy through our Past Selves (“What were we doing last week at this time? Oh yes, ordering drinks poolside and having the time of our lives." Big sighs of wistfulness.)

But I missed my kids, and it’s good to be home with them. (Although Little Squirt had the time of his life with the Hot Supernanny who catered to his every whim and let him eat ice cream for breakfast and go swimming every day. I’m not certain he’s glad we’re back.)

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention a few people that stood out to me on our trip, as I am all about people:
-The fascinating gentleman that sat next to us on the flight over. After living in San Diego for 30 years, he and his wife moved to the island of Kauai and bought a house in the valley. They discovered from the local island people that they had orchards of noni fruit trees. Noni is a fruit that is discovered to have many antibacterial, antiviral, immune-enhancing properties. So now he farms this fruit and sells it at trade shows. The blessed man struck gold!
-The adorable Russian waitress that served us the night I had a craving for Italian. We found a charming bistro in Waikiki, and she took such good care of us. She recommended a salad that I absolutely adored with its dressing made from blood-red oranges. After I raved about it, she said, “Yes! Eating that salad always makes me happy. It’s like a rainbow.” It’s like a rainbow. Just darling!

And a few last highlights:
-A nightly quest for the “perfect” restaurant; the just-right combination of feast and ambience. We dined at a new place every evening, and were never disappointed.
-The luscious hot dogs we piled high with sauerkraut, cheese and onions and ate for lunch at the beach cabana. I usually hate hot dogs, but somehow they tasted better in Hawaii.
-The glorious sunsets. Everyone of them was better than the last.
-Driving around in our rental (which, by coin-ki-dink was the exact car we drive at home) looking at the sights while listening to the local Hawaiian music station, and laughing about our dorkiness.

It was fabulous. Fabulously fabulous all its fabulousity. I love Hawaii, and it's one of our own. The floral air, the warm breezes, the bluest ocean, the friendly locals....what’s not to absolutely adore?? I’m going back as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Hawaii is the place to be. We have been to both coast of Mexico but it is not Hawaii.

Super Hubs said...

Let's go back