Friday, June 26, 2009

Thursday in Oahu



Because of my “back issues” in which I need to walk hunched over like a glimpse into my Octogenarian Future, we enjoyed a relaxing day poolside yesterday. I camped in the beach chair for about 6 hours straight, turning it every now and then to follow the rays of the sun. We read and watched the surfers on Waikiki beach, only interrupting my laziness to go google “Michael Jackson” when a friend texted me that he’d passed away. How sad! An icon from my growing up years!

We had dinner with two of Super K’s work colleagues and their spouses. They are all down here for a work convention and bit of R & R. We went to a Thai restaurant that was a few blocks away, and enjoyed great conversation. I was surprised I had as much fun as I did. Super K’s co-workers are professors and college administrators. They are heady and intellectual and serious, and everything that I am not. Usually I am bored and intimidated at his work shindigs. But actually, we had fun. We talked vacation and kids and cats, and had wine, and it was all amazing.

Super K and I ended the evening with a drink at the Royal Hawaiian, my new favorite hotel ever. It was built in the 1920s, and is a fabulous shade of pink. An army of pink-shirted Hawaiian men greet you at the door, and bend over backwards to accomodate your every need. I usually pretend I’m a guest and use their bathroom when I am poolside at our Sheraton, rather than use the bathrooms at the beach cabanas. I’ve found that if you act like you belong, people will believe you belong. No questions asked. And the Ladies’ Room at the Royal Hawaiin is all that. Just sayin’.

So we enjoyed a drink under the stars and watched the waves of Waikiki beach, while being serenaded to by a Michael Jackson cd. It was a charming way to end the day, and a tribute to a legend.

No comments: