Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wednesday in Hawaii



We’ve been pacing ourselves. (After all, this is a vacation.) One the odd days, we make lazy at the pool reading juicy novels, walk the Waikiki beach, indulge in a little nap, then scout some restaurants with the best of ambience. On the evens, we have an “adventure day.”

Yesterday we drove up early in the morning to the south side of Ohau, drinking in the fabulous beaches and watching the surfers battle high waves. We browsed by some seaside gift shops, and saw street vendors selling fresh shrimp.

We landed at the Polynesian Cultural Center, which was a Disney-like expedition into authentic South Pacific culture. We watching fire-making in Samoa, dancing in Fiji, tasted poi in Tahiti, and tossed a spear in Tonga. At the Mission Home settlement, Super K took a quick ukulele lesson and I bought some quilted crafts.

I was sitting on a bench viewing a large handmade canoe when my back went out. It gave me no warning. One minute I was chuckling with Super K about the sea-worthiness of bamboo, and the next moment I stood up, and was overcome with a lower-back spasm. I’ve had back issues since I was a teen, but it only acts up and gives me real trouble about every three years. So it chose my Hawaiian vacation to rear its ugly head?? I yelped and rested, and then gobbled a few advil, which enabled me to hobble like an arthritic old lady through the park. We watched a Canoe Pageant and a fascinating Imax show on the Coral Reef, as I shifted around, trying to find a comfortable position.

We drove home through a impetuous rain shower, and then chased the most beautiful rainbow. After a mid-week worship service at a local church, we found a cafe, and dined on coconut shrimp and wine from the second story balcony, overlooking Waikiki.

Today my back continues to project ugly little spasms all the way down my left leg. But I’m in Hawaii! And the very worst “back day” here is better than the very best “back day” at home. Capiche?

2 comments:

Ron said...

Capiche! and praying for a healed back too ...

Kelly said...

Thanks, Ron. Prayers are working. My back is feeling mucho better tonight!=)