Saturday, June 6, 2009

Premiere League





Soccer season for Little Squirt is over, and I’m actually feeling a bit sad about that. (Gasp of shock and awe heard by the masses.) People who know me know that I am not the Fabulouso Sports Mom du Jour. Not on any jour.

I did not grow up being the athletic sort. Quite the opposite. I wore pink and played Barbies and read Nancy Drew. I feared sports. My head was a Dodge Ball magnet, causing me no end of anxiety on the nights before gym class. I was skinny and uncoordinated, with a brain that somehow couldn’t connect my hands to a ball. So when my children play sports, I suck it up for the sake of love and support, and pretend I love all things athletic. I'm an actor, you know. But candidly, I’m bored. I don’t know what’s going on, I’m easily distracted, and almost always cold on the field.

But this Soccer season was probably the exception, and the most enjoyment I’ve had! Little Squirt has had such a wonderful coach (who happens to be a friend of ours), and he and his wife have been so warm and encouraging and made it great fun. And the parents happen to be an incredible group of people, so our experience has been such a positive one!

I love watching my youngest, who is all about the socializing. Oh, is the ball headed this way? I may try to kick it......or let someone else do it if I’m not in the mood to get winded. Oh- there’s Matthew from my kindergarten class on the sidelines!! Having a chat with him trumps trying to make a goal....... (You get the picture.)

The season ended with a pizza party, complete with the lil giggling soccer munchkins throwing peanuts into each others’ drinks. Besides pizza, there were yummy cupcakes decorated with soccer balls. And then, to Little Squirt’s joy, trophies. Coach Steve brought each child up and affirmed them, speaking into them the good things he saw in them this season.

Little Squirt ordered me to place his trophy on his bedroom shelf. He virtually oozed with pride. Now he has a genuine trophy, he told me, just like his big brother.

2 comments:

JimF said...

Love it!

super hubs said...

He really did have a great season. Looking forward to continuing in the fall. Though not sure how much I'll enjoy the ever-worsening weather. Under-Armor for all!