Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sat/Sun in Hawaii



Simply put, it’s Paradise. The warm breezes stirring the palm leaves, the scent of hibiscus in the air, the bluest ocean I have ever seen, dotted with sailboats.......I love Oahu. I was last here 23 years ago as a college nursing student. I spent a month on four of the islands studying Transcultural Nursing. But really it was a study in Nightly Partying with The Marine Corps. I was 21 and a Sorority Girl. What can I say?

Now I am here with the love of my life, celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary. And we aim to soak up every bit of Hawaiian culture, along with the sunshine.

Half a year ago, we pondered various places to celebrate our anny, considering going as far away as Europe. And then Super Hubs was offered an all-expense-paid trip to Honolulu to attend an Education convention. His boss told him to go, attend one particular meeting, and then just have fun. It was as if God himself handpicked a romantic anniversary destination, paid for it, and then announced, “This is where I’m sending you. You both are going to celebrate your anniversary in Hawaii. Enjoy!” It couldn’t have been more clear.

I read in my Bible this morning, “Come see the glorious works of the Lord.” (Ps. 46:8) And have we! We have spent the past two days utterly relaxing, trying to fight off our jetlag. We wake up gently, taking early morning coffee onto our 12th floor balcony and watch the sun rise over Diamond Head. We lie on lounge chairs by the pool, facing Waikiki beach, and watch the surfers conquer the waves.

Yesterday, late afternoon, we drove all over the east end of Oahu, stopping the car at all the scenic destinations. We parked at one particular place, called Makapuu Point, that was so extraordinary I gasped aloud. We climbed over the rock wall, and sat on steppes, watching the waves crash over the cliff. The water was pure sapphire. “Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!” (Ps. 46:3) I am seeing God’s glorious works in flamboyant form. And it is soul-filling!

3 comments:

sir james said...

Been there twice, only one word.
Beautiful.
You must climb Diamond Head..It's the law.

Lisa said...

so glad you are having such a great time! :)What an awesome blessing this trip is! Miss you...can't wait to hear all about it and see your beautiful tan! Jealous... ;)

Kelly said...

I did! Climbed Diamond Head today! Stay tuned for blogging....