Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday in Hawaii



Today was rich with adventure...

Super Hubs (or Kouko, as I am calling him on this trip because his name is translated as such in Hawaiian- or “Super K” for consistency) and I decided to tackle Diamond Head. We were well-rested after a good night’s sleep and well-fortified after a high-protein breakfast. Go us!

Diamond Head is Hawaii’s most famous landmark- a volcanic cone where you have a 360 degree view of Oahu from the top. It wasn’t horribly difficult. I workout and am in relatively good shape. But it was an hour of hot, steep climbing, and going through a few dark tunnels. My vertigo got a little crazy on the circular, open stairway at the very top. But I kept my eyes upward, and soon we reached our goal! And if you don’t believe me, I have my very own certificate proving in a court of law that I climbed this very volcano. It was signed by a big Kahuna (ookay....signed by the little man who sold me the certificate for $2. But it’s real and valid and completely authentic. I’m not lying.) We saw a panoramic view of the island in all it’s gorgeousity. Our eyes could spot our hotel (towering over the very pink Royal Hawaiian), Pearl Harbor, and all the surrounding ocean. It was sweeet.

A rugged adventurous-looking man up there gives tours into the wild rainforest, and he offered to sign me up on the spot. I am interested, but Super K believes he has crazy-eyes and will take us into the wild and gut us alive. Hmmm....

We then drove around the valley of Manoa, which was stunningly beautiful with its picturesque mountains and gorgeous foilage. We found a charming little tea house nestled in a banana grove, and had a bite to eat on the veranda, surrounded by bouganvilla. Satiated, we headed onto Adventure #2 of the day, another hike which Super K insisted was “family friendly.”

I’m gonna kill my husband. Or better yet, I’m gonna take the author of the Oahu Frommer’s Guide, and I’m gonna grow some crazy-eyes and gut her alive. Honestly. She described the hike to the Manoa Falls as, and I quote, “terrific for families.” Terrific for monkey families, perhaps. Or the family of Tarazan and Jane, possibly. My gosh. It was an hour of climbing through the mud on slippery rocks uphill in a very warm, very humid tropical rainforest. I felt like I was in Jurassic Park, and kept looking around for a T-Rex. The trail meandered along a stream past mountain apples, guava and wild ginger. (At least that’s what the Frommer’s Guide informed us. I actually didn't see any. I was too busy trying to stay alive.)

Full of mud and sweat, we finally made it up to the Manoa Falls. Now that was worth it! Super K and I had about 10 minutes alone to gaze upon the 100 foot waterfall in all it’s glory. It was peaceful and quiet, except for birdsong. It was a holy moment. We held hands and quietly renewed our marriage vows. Another 20 years? I’m in!

Whew! I’m tired. Now for some rest and relaxation until our Luau, which, I’m hoping will be without any sort of adventure. I don’t want to have to gut someone.

1 comment:

sir james said...

Ahh you made. Good job. If Pearl Harbor is on your list, try to go as early as possible. It gets crowded real fast after opening. I love the memories you are bring to us.