Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just Charge It, Please.

Taking The Teens clothes shopping is an interesting study in sociology.

Rock Star will ask for an article of clothing only when he is one shred away from looking like a Flintstone. Last year, he informed me on the first day of our beach vacation as we were driving to the ocean, that he didn’t have a swim suit. “Why didn’t you pack a suit??” I asked in frustration. “Because none of them fit anymore.” “Then why didn’t you tell me before we left Chicago??” “Because you didn’t ask.” So, instead of working on my tan, I spent the better part of that particular morning running him around to the resort boutiques to find appropriate water-wear.

He did the same thing with winter boots when I asked him to shovel the snow one morning this past February. He had neglected to inform me at winter’s beginning that he didn’t own boots; he’d thrown them out last year because one had a big hole in the heel; and so he’d been borrowing his father’s. And trying to find winter boots in February in Chicago is like prospecting for Peeps in July.

Butterfly manages her wardrobe with the careful precision of a micro physicist, knowing on a daily basis the exact inventory and condition of all her apparel from lingerie through Formal Wear. And she is always aware of her needs. She “needs” always! Her philosophy is, “You can never have too many_____.”(Fill in the blank with any type of clothing article. I mean it. Any type.)

Today I bounced The Teens out of bed at the unholy Saturday hour of 9am to get a jump-start at the mall. Rock Star, who worships his older sister’s fashion sense and refuses to buy any clothes without her stamp of approval, purchased some new shorts after carefully weighing all the pros and cons. He felt he only needed two pairs, and refused to buy more. When he was finished, he wanted to wait in the car. Butterfly's very countenance began to radiate as soon as she entered Abercrombie & Fitch. She pranced around like a calf let out to pasture, maniacally grabbed random handfuls of clothes, and became quite distressed when I informed her of the budget. And as for me; I admit to purchasing a coupl’a cute and stylish things from the clearance rack.

It was loads of fun shopping with them. Any day I get to spend watching The Teens do something cooperatively together is a good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good time. me, not a good clothes shopper, I get what I need and get out.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, our boy will do that to us all the time. Uh, I don't have any clean clothes for school (10PM) or, like Rockstar, shoes don't fit anymore, have a giant hole in them, etc.... It must be a guy thing, but I don't remember doing it!

Kelly said...

Yea- I just don't get boys to that end!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the bill. Me too, sir james. Fortunately, I have someone who looks out for what I need.