Friday, May 23, 2008

Touched A Nerve

Here's an amusing response from Tony, my dear friend who had the misfortune of not being carded the night I was.
Hi Kelly,
Did a little more math on the subject during this period of time I call The Glory Days (from 4/13 your birthday - 8/30 my birthday)...
As I'm sure you are painfully aware, our age is separated by a staggering 12,096,000 seconds. I'm exhausted just from typing that number.
As you also may know, light travels at a speed of 186,000 miles per second, meaning
if you were to start shining a beam of light, it would go that distance in 1 second.
Doing the math of combining the two facts above, that beam of light you starting shining that traveled a mere 186,000 miles in 1 second would travel 2,249,856,000,000 miles between the date of your birth and that of mine. That's 2 TRILLION + miles. Wow. That's one tired beam of light. For perspective on THAT number, if you were to spend $1 per SECOND every second of every day, it would take you 26,040,000 days to
spend that much money. That's over 71,342 YEARS. That's even older than you! But I digress. Back to that beam of light traveling that loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong distance....
To put that distance in perspective, the average distance from earth to Pluto (the mass formerly known as the 9th planet back when you were a kid) is 3,700,000,000 miles. If you were able to board that beam of light for travel to Pluto, you would be able to go to Pluto from earth AND BACK more than 608 times. Nearly unfathomable.
So let's redirect that beam of light from your warm, hospitable home to our church, a short 4.88 miles distance. That little beam of light could go back and forth between your home and our church an incredible 461,036,065,573 times.

But hey, at least you got carded :-)
Have a great weekend, Kelly! See ya soon. And remember, while our age difference may seem significant now, when you're 167, I'll STILL be younger than you :-)
Tony "Spring Chicken"

Ouch! I think Tony's just being a bit sensitive because:
A.)I was cast in a drama as his younger sister.
B.)Again- I GOT CARDED!!
But he clearly is more math-brilliant than I.
Bygones, Buddy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

C.) probably better looking too.
(I've never seen Tony so I don't know for sure)

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Kelly, that was hilarious, thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Tony keeps me in stitches. He should have his own blog.
P.S. I still consider Pluto a planet.

Anonymous said...

all that math - my head hurts - and he's still older ;)