Sunday, May 18, 2008

May I See Some ID?

I got carded! Oh praise The Good Lord In Heaven; I actually was carded!! WOHOO!!!

I was ordering dinner with some friends at a restaurant and asked for a glass of wine. And the waitress carded me! It was not one of those places where they mandatorily card everyone who has a pulse for liability reasons. I know this because my friend also ordered a glass of wine……..and he was not carded. (Do not worry Tony, I won't say your name in blogosphere and publicly humiliate you. Please note that I just referred to you as “my friend.” Your identity is safe with me, buddy.)

I’ll re-emphasize the point of my post: My friend (Tony) did not get carded, yet I did. And he is actually 4 months younger than me (which he quite rudely reminds me about every time I see him). So apparently, I look younger than 21, and he looks older.

My friend (Tony): Appears older than 21. Probably much older.
Me: Appears to be 20. Or 19. Or 18.

At least to this particular waitress. And maybe she’s got thick cataracts, or possibly it was the dim lighting in the place and the fact that my head was slightly tilted. Or perhaps my Age-Defying makeup was fabulous that evening. I don’t know. Please allow me my little teeny victory moment, when I was carded and my friend (Tony) was not. IT MADE MY WEEK!! (Currently doin' a Victory Dance.)

For one evening, I believed I looked a youthful 20 again. At least to a certain waitress, God bless her forever.
Mmmmmm. It's those little triumphs in life that are so sweetly gratifying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok you got me on this one.I can't say anything funny or serious and I'm sure glad you did not mention TONY by name. I guess just enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - this usually goes the other way with me, I never got carded even once and now people think my kids are my grandkids. OTOH, I don't think there is any makeup that I'd care to try, LOL! Great column and congrats, "kid"!