Thursday, May 22, 2008

Victuals And Violins


Everything tastes better in the city. Especially when it’s prepared by a Professional Culinary Expert. I was reminded of that last evening, as I ventured to Chicago to meet Super Hubs for an evening out. What should have been a 1 hour drive into the city took 2 hours because of sucky Chicago traffic. But I was actually okay with that. It was just Me in the car. Just Me, Me and…….Me. (All my favorite people.) And my CDs. No whiney-hineys in the backseat begging for French fries and throwing crayons around. So the long drive was peaceful and pleasant.

I picked Super Hubs up from his place of employment, and we found parking in a garage that charges more per hour than my chiropractor. Then we went to we went to Rhapsody, a contemporary restaurant that serves elegant cuisine; and that is attached to the center where we would attend The Symphony. It was a bit too cool to eat out on the patio, so S.H. and I headed into the main dining room. Just as the maitre d’ seated me at the table, I completely mortified myself by knocking over a wine glass with my elbow. It fell to the floor and shattered, thus making my presence known to the entire establishment the first 30 seconds of my arrival. (Good Lord, how old am I, three??) You can dress me up but you shouldn’t take me out……

Despite my embarrassment, I enjoyed King Salmon with shitake mushrooms, and a basil and white bean cassoulet. It was fantabulous, especially with a dry Pinot Grigio. Of course….I then dribbled cassoulet on myself, thus staining my white t-shirt just in time for The Symphony. Thankfully S.H. and I have been married long enough that my warranty has run out, and he can no longer trade me in for a wife who can sit at a table without breaking crystal and dine without cassoulet spillage.

We enjoyed The Symphony with its classical music of Debussy, and Stravinksy’s masterpiece, “The Rite of Spring.” I love classical music played beautifully. It was soul-soothing and utterly relaxing. And after my long day, longer drive and two glasses of wine……I got the sleepies and nodded off on the shoulder of my date. (But it was okay with him. Isn’t love grand??)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great evening!

Anonymous said...

Warranty? I didn't read the fine print.