Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Drugs, Anyone?

How do I even begin to describe my day? Hmmmm, let me think.……Taxing?……Stressful?……Wanna just shoot myself?……Tempted to pilfer the hydrocodone??

Butterfly (16 yrs) had her wisdom teeth removed today. While she was having her oral surgery, I sat in the waiting room for an hour, listening to a total stranger talk my ear off about Marlo Thomas’ bad cosmetic surgery while I drank icky lukewarm instant coffee.

A while later, I drove my tearful daughter home in the sleet (yes, it was sleeting here in the Midwest, isn’t that lovely) while listening to her cry for her boyfriend. Back home, I propped her up on the couch with an icepack and the “Hairspray” dvd, loaded her up with painkillers and attempted to meet her every demand.

My daughter tends to be high maintenance when she’s not feeling well. Here are all the things she claims I did wrong today:
1. Didn’t let her call Boyfriend upon immediate arrival home after surgery.
2. Brought home the wrong flavors of Jamba Juice.
3. Made rice too salty.
4. Didn’t keep her little brother quiet enough.

But, God bless her, she’s a good kid most of the time. I hate to see her in pain. And I did leave her in the care of her brothers for an hour today so I could get out for coffee with my girlfriends, who put together a beautiful basket for my daughter, filled with jello and pudding and magazines and pj’s…..I have the greatest girlfriends. They care for me through caring for my daughter.

Right now Butterfly’s in a peaceful hydrocodone fog while I am attempting to prepare part of our Thanksgiving Day feast with Super Hub's help. Warm and safe in our home with our three healthy children nearby, my heart is beginning to let go of the stress of the day……and think about all the reasons I have to be thankful. Which are many.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blogs these past 2 days. I remember my own boyish follies and can empathize with your son. My sisters drove me crazy and I dread my daughter's dating days that are still a few years away. It seems like just yesterday when I was nerving myself to call on my first girlfriend and in fact it has been almost 30 years! One of these days you'll be sharing these blogs (I hope you are saving these as text on acid free paper and all that cropping stuff) with your daughter as she tells you about her daughter's boyfriend!

Happy Thanksgiving from me and my family (SWMBO, GAMEBOY, and L'ARTISTE) to you and yours. May God bless you richly again in the coming year. Oh, and good luck with the car!

Anonymous said...

yeahhh

ok I am so not high maintenance.


*sticks out tongue*