Friday, November 2, 2007

Walking On Air

I’ve had some big doses of “happy” the last two days:
1. The early morning frost has killed off whatever allergen had been causing my chronic sinus headaches. No more nasally voice!
2. I discovered Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine anti-humidity smoothing milk. My Bad Hair Days have been banished to Kingdom Come. This stuff is like Jennifer Aniston’s hair in a bottle. I swear, folks. Try it if humidity is not kind to your tresses.
3. We still have two bags full of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups left over from Halloween. Ice cold from the freezer, they are a little glimpse of what food will taste like in Heaven.
4. Relationships. Relationships. Relationships.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday that I’ve known for 9 years. She’s the one of the most encouraging women ever. She speaks my love language, “words of affirmation.” We shared some Tai food and caught up on our busy lives.

Lauree is an incredible listener; so attentive to what I’m saying. When I’m with her, I feel as if I am the most interesting person in the world. (And I’m not. Believe you, me.) She peppers her responses with, “You can do it,” ; “You’re so strong,” ; “You do such a great job.” She told me she thought I looked great; she loved my jeans; she loved my lipstick color. And I believe she really meant it. When I leave her presence, I feel built up, cared about, and valued. I float blissfully away, empowered to tackle any obstacle threatening my self-esteem. Bring it on!! I’ve just had a major dose of Lauree! I wish I could bottle her up and take a daily swig.

And why is she like this? Why is she so darn wonderful? What makes her such a warm, kind, inspiring person that genuinely loves people? I believe it’s because she loves God so much and spends daily time in His Word, mulling over it, following what it says. And I get the fruit of such a beautiful friend!

I left our lunch hoping that I'm the kind of person that makes my friends feel at least half as good as Lauree makes me feel.
“Whatever is in your heart determines what you say.”
(Luke 6:45)

No comments: