Monday, November 26, 2007

The Y Chromosome

Two interesting happenings in our household today, both involving our sons:
1. The one and only line of dialogue that Little Squirt has zeroed in on and now memorized for all eternity in our favorite family move, “A Christmas Story”, is : “Son of a ______(rhymes with witch)!” So now he’s all “Son of a ______” ing this and “Son of a ______” ing that all the live long day. Which my teenagers are finding quite comical. Let’s just hope Little Squirt forgets about that particular locution in time for church next Sunday.
2. In cleaning out Rock Star’s bedroom today, we found a three-week-old half-eaten ham sandwich sitting on a plate on his closet floor. Yes, just sitting there on the floor of his closet in plain sight. For three weeks. On my good dinner plate. By now this Repast-Gone-Wrong is so filled with various forms of life that it really ought to be paying us rent.
Frogs and snails and puppy-dog tails, that’s what little boys are made of.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm laughing too hard to type (almost)! I think most families have a variation on the locution tale, but it is always funniest when it happens to someone else of course! Our friends' daughter recently overheard the "S" word. She has just learned to walk and thought that this word was hilarious. So, she wanders hither and yon pronouncing it with every step as her parents pray for patience and strength. I'm a germaphobe so that sandwich thing was never in the cards for me,though I too have that Chromosome that makes mothers wonder "Y" - ;-)

Doug said...

At least he's using it appropriately.

Doug said...

I think it was ham... or at least used to be...

Kelly said...

My first-born's favorite was the "S word" during her toddler years. Which was entirely my fault.

Anonymous said...

One of my sisters, Denise, picked up the D--nit word/phrase as a toddler. Never one to waste words, if she wanted my mom, she would just yell "Here!". About the 3rd time, she would yell "Here, D--nit!" My mom joked that she should have named the dog that so that she could tell company that Denise was calling the dog - LOL

I regret that I have a tendency to curse loudly when frustrated by the conspiracy or inanimate objects that are out to get me - usually involving tools and a little blood. My children have had to be counseled by Char and I that they know better than to use those words! How sad is that? Don't use the Daddy Words, honey.... :O