Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gorge Much??

No one told me that having two teenagers living in the house would require us to take out a second mortgage just to pay the grocery bill! This is not meant to scare anyone who has little future teenagers. But maybe you should think about downsizing to a tent, or getting a second job as an orthopedic surgeon or something that pays equally well. I’m just kindly warning you.

Butterfly came home from school famished. All the text-messaging she did in the car on the way home apparently caused her to burn a lot of calories. She cooked a box of macaroni, then added half a stick of butter and 7 shakes of the Parmesan cheese can. Rock Star, smelling the feast, joined her in the kitchen, where he helped himself to half. “I’m making chicken enchiladas tonight. We’ll be eating them in two hours. Don’t ruin your appetites!” I warned. (As if I should worry.) The two of them ignored me. They finished the macaroni, helped themselves to a whole grapefruit apiece, and then drank cups of hot chocolate loaded with marshmallows. This is a typical after-school snack. Which came a few hours post-lunch, which came shortly after the mid-morning snack, which followed a hearty breakfast. After tonight’s dinner, they’ll have bowls of cereal before bed. They’re like little Hobbits.

I don’t know where all of the calories go. Neither are overweight. Maybe it’s a Family Tape-Worm thing. I don’t know. But my grocery bills have increased by a quarter over the past two months. And it ain’t because Super Hubs and I are snacking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this hit our house too and our oldest is 11! Where does all that food go? We eat at McD's about once a week. We used to get them Happy Meals. Then it was Big Kid Meals. Now it's a BKM plus a couple chicken wraps and then they want half a box of girlscout cookies each! Great blog and also just loved the hobbit reference!