Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sharing Date Night


My Favorite Things to ward off The Winter Gloomies:
1.) Indulge in reading part of a fabulous book every day.
2.) Buy new make-up.
3.) Drink spicy Bloody Marys. A friend of mine re-introduced me to them, and I’ve been making a virgin one every day to sip in front of the fire.
4.) Nightly scented bubble baths.
5.) Cooking comfort food.
6.) Dinner Club.

I hosted the Dinner Club last night; a gathering of four couples who meet monthly to share a meal. So I got to incorporate 4 of my 6 Favorite Things all at the same time. I cooked for the Dinner Club while drinking a Bloody Mary and wearing my new makeup. Aren’t I industrious? I just couldn’t figure out how to read the fabulous book while bathing while cooking……I guess there’s no perfect plan.

I thoroughly enjoy cooking, if I have the time and the space to make something really delicious for people who will appreciate it. It completely relaxes me; lingering over slicing and dicing, hearing the sizzle and pop of the food as it sautees, appreciating the various aromas and textures. I play soothing music, sip a glass of wine or the aforementioned Bloody Mary, light a candle, and it does my heart worlds of good. I especially enjoy making dinner for friends. For me, its a way to show them love. I relish setting an attractive table, preparing the food and welcoming people into my home.

Last night was not without its preparation issues. As I was setting the table, I noticed three of my wine goblets were missing, and they have yet to make a re-appearance. All of my family members, when quizzed, deny breaking/losing/ or hearing of the wine glasses sprouting legs and boarding a bus to Toledo. Now how do goblets just go missing, I wonder?? The answer remains a mystery. And then Little Squirt spilled my glass of red wine all over the table cloth, just as the guests were arriving. It was not the look I was going for.

So all was not perfect, but that’s okay. These are some of my best friends; who make me feel joyful and encouraged and known, and somehow a little bit less melancholy, in spite of the bleakness of the weather. It was an excellent way to welcome February.

No comments: