Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

When I was single and living in the city of Chicago, I was asked out for a date by a really nice guy. He happened to live in an apartment directly across from my place of employment, Children’s Memorial Hospital. I worked there as an R.N. on the top floor, a pediatric oncology unit. This man and I developed a signal where, when working the night shift, I’d go to the window at midnight. I’d look down into his apartment window, and I’d shine my penlight down on him, and he’d turn a flashlight on and off. We called it our “Thinking About You At Midnight” signal.

For our second date, he invited me to his place for dinner on Valentine’s Day. I wore a red corduroy skirt and sweater and carried a tin of homemade chocolate chip cookies. He picked me up, then dropped me off at his apartment while he tried to find parking. I admit to snooping that evening. I walked around his home; opening drawers, picking up pictures. I wanted to find out more about this man.

He cooked veal piccata and vegetables with rice. We had vanilla ice cream with a topping of Bailey’s Irish Cream for dessert. We shared a little wine (very little, for I had to work the night shift) and watched “Casablanca.” He gave me roses.

On our third date, he told me he thought I was beautiful and that he was in love with me. I was a little taken aback. It seemed so quick, and I was certain he’d fall “out of love” as soon as he got to really know me. But he didn’t. In fact, he kept pursuing me. He’d stop by my apartment frequently with little gifts and cards. He’d walk me home after work, usually with a single flower in hand. He was so loving and so giving and incredibly kind.

I decided that I would need to break up with him. He was way too nice, and I was feeling suffocated. So I took my best friend out for a drink, and asked her advice. How could I kindly let this guy down, who was clearly so smitten with me?? I didn’t want to break his heart. But it was impossible for me, I felt, to continue a relationship with a man who was so decent! My friend, never one to mince words, told me I was an idiot. “He’s the best thing that ever happened to you!” she declared.

She was right. So I let myself fall in love. And then I married him a year later. Tonight we will celebrate our 21st Valentine’s Dinner together. And he’s still the very best man that I know. I am really lucky.

I wish you, My Readers, a very happy Valentine’s Day. Whether you are married or single; whether you will celebrate with someone tonight or alone, think about all the people in your life that you love and who love you. I’m sure there are many. And be grateful!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines from Jim and Charlene to you and Super Hubs.

Kelly said...

Same to you! Hope it was a god one.

Anonymous said...

I'm consider myself a fortunate man to be married to you. Thank you for the kind words. 21 years sure go by in a flash! Hope your day went well too, Jim.