Wednesday, April 9, 2008

10 Life Lessons

My birthday is on Sunday. So I thought I'd share the incredible wisdom of my advanced years in the days leading up to this great celebration. Enjoy!
1.) Prayer works. It really does. My day won’t go well unless the first part of my morning begins in prayer. I can go forward into the day with peace, knowing I’ve begun it with the one who created me and knows me best. And that I’ve asked for His hand of protection and blessing on those I love.
2.) God first, then people. The more time I’ve spent with God in prayer, the more I’ve fallen in love with Him. And the more I love God, the more I’m able to love others. Funny how that works.
3.) Be yourself. In my early 30s, I realized I had no idea who I was. What was my true personality? How was I wired and gifted? My quest for “finding myself” led to great freedom and confidence.
4.) Intimate friendships are a must. I have a circle of several safe friends that I can be truly authentic with. They know the good, the bad and the ugly. And they love me anyway. Nurturing those relationships is a priority to me.
5.) Reading voraciously is good for the soul. I often read two to three books at once, all different genres. If a book doesn't captivate me by the second chapter, then I’m done with it. Life is too short, and there are too many great books to read. I learn so much from other writers. Reading really good books makes me smarter and builds character.
6.) Laugh every day. Find humor in the ordinary. I just saw the freakin’ ugliest dog walk by the window. It looked like a gray striped wool sweater with legs. I laughed for 10 minutes. (No offense to the dog. I'm sure he has a great personality.)
7.) Make parenting a priority. It wasn’t easy for us to have a family, and I feel so blessed to have the three children that I do. I’d rather err on the side of grace and forgiveness. It won't matter how many other great things I do in my life if I botch how I raise them. God has entrusted me with these three, and I take that mandate very seriously.
8.) There's no shame in therapy. It changed my life. If you are in a stuck place emotionally, find a great therapist. The healthiest people that I know are the ones who have worked through their “stuff.” What a gift to give your loved ones- an emotionally healthier you!
9.) Avoid being a black and white thinker. People are rarely “all good” or “all bad.” There are most often two sides to a conflict. Life has many shades of gray.
10.) Every child needs a pet. A furry or slimy something-or-other to love and have love them back should be a mandatory part of childhood. Even if it makes the house a bit messier and creates a little more work, it’s worth it.
More Life Lessons tomorrow!
(Four shopping days left!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some really excellent stuff here, Kelly. Not least of which is the advice on books! I used to force myself to finish everything, but no more!

Putting God first is something I need to work on more, but when I do remember to do it, things are so much better.

Thanks for this gift of knowledge!