Friday, April 4, 2008

Looks Like We've Made It?

(Super Hubs, as I drove him in my Toyota yesterday): “How long has that light been showing up on the dashboard?”
Me: “What light?”
SH: “The green light that says Cool.”
Me: “That’s not a light."
SH: “It’s definitely a light. It means there’s a problem with something.” (Maniacally begins thumbing through the car manual.)
Me: “Relax. It’s been showing up every time I drive for the past few months. I don’t think it’s a problem. I think it’s just a Mood-Indicator.”
SH: “A what??”
Me: “A MOOD-INDICATOR. You know. That it means the car is fine. It’s cool. As opposed to cranky. Or PMSing. Or ecstatic. Everything is status quo with this car. It’s A-OK. That’s what I thought it meant and I wasn’t worried about it. It’s cool, so I’m cool.”
SH: (Glares at me.)
Me: “Why? Was I wrong??”
SH: (Talking very slowly, as if I am a three-year-old): ”According to the car manual, which is CONVENIENTLY LOCATED inside the glove compartment for information such as THIS, it means the coolant level is low. Which can be bad. The car can overheat.”
Me: “Oh.”
(SILENCE.)
Me: “But isn’t it great how our differences balance out our marriage so beautifully?? I see “Cool” and assume everything is great! You see “Cool” and freak out and think the car will blow up. Me, Glass Half-Full. You, Glass Half-Empty. A marriage made in Heaven, right?”
SH: (Not cool. Not ecstatic. Cranky. Possibly PMSing): “Yeah, whatever. Pull over into the gas station, so I can get coolant.”

Hmmm. We’ll be married for 19 years this month. Sometimes you gotta wonder how we’ve made it this far! ;-) We'll ponder that tonight on our Date Night.

HAPPY FRIDAY, FRIENDS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Date Night and happy (soon) anniversary! Wow, 19 years! Hope the car is okay - luckily it has been so cold out for so long, would that help? I'm not really a car guy - sounds like SH is on the ball though!

Kelly said...

Thanks, Jim!