Thursday, April 10, 2008

More Kelly's Life Lessons

Yep- my birthday just won't quit moving toward me. I remember the days when that was a good thing. If you are fortunate enough to be younger than me, glean from my birthday ruminating. I'll have as many of these as my age over the next few days.
11.) For a bad attitude, practice gratitude. I have a discipline that I’ve engaged in for a while. I list 5 things I’m grateful for that day, before I go to bed. This simple act has opened my eyes to my blessings and helped to cure my grumbling and discontent.
12.) Exercise regularly. I don’t love working out, but there has never been a time I’ve regretted it. It really does make me feel better and sleep better. And who would say no to looking better??
13.) Capitalize on your strengths. There are things that I am good at, and things I am not. I try to champion my attributes rather than obsess over my weaknesses. And it’s lots more fun that way.
14.) When life brings storms, dance in the rain. Bad seasons hit everyone. Pain is universal. What can I learn from this?
How can I use this to grow me into a more loving, beautiful person? Believe me, I’ve suffered plenty over the years. As the old adage goes, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” Bank on that!
15.) Chocolate tastes better cold. Unless it’s hot chocolate. And always drink that with marshmallows and Godiva shavings.
16.) Avoid the faultfinders. Chronically negative people drain me. And critical ones make me feel like they’ve poked holes in my soul. Run from them. Run fast! Move toward those that point you to all that is good and excellent and virtuous.
17.) True friends rejoice. There are many people who will gladly come alongside me when I’ve got problems. But who is there to celebrate my successes? Those people are the genuine friends in my book.
18.) Declutter the house and organize the brain. If my external world is in disarray, my internal world is in disarray. And the older I get, the more I crave peace. So I declutter religiously. (Although not at church.) Put away, give away or throw away for just fifteen minutes a day, and in no time your home will be serene. And your soul, in turn.
19.) Let go of self-consciousness. Really, who cares what others think? I refuse to try to get into people’s heads anymore and worry that they are disapproving of me. They can focus on themselves, and I will focus on me.
20.) All things in moderation. Unless you have an addiction problem or medical issue, what’s wrong with the occasional cocktail? Life is to be celebrated! After all, wasn’t Jesus’ first miracle turning water into wine?
Three shopping days left! Get moving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More wisdom! I hope you have been hoarding these up or gleaning them for a while, because if you just sat down and rattled these off then you are making the rest of us look pretty bad in comparison! Good work!

How about a necklace with a tiny gold trolley? Hmmm?

Kelly said...

I've been carrying around a notebook for 3 days, jotting down whatever comes to mind. It's been a great exercise!
Um...How about a necklace with a diamond??