Tuesday, April 22, 2008

How They've Flown!

19 years ago today, I stood at the back of the Catholic church of my youth. I was wearing a vintage ivory gown, worn by my grandmother on her wedding to my grandfather in 1938. I held lilies. I was feeling anxious because the flowers had arrived late, some of my relatives were still in route, and the service was about to begin. My Maid of Honor, not oblivious to my tension, grabbed me by the shoulders and said, “Just focus on your groom. Let everything else go, and just keep your eyes on him.” I took a deep breath and the arm of my father, and headed down the aisle to Pachelbel’s Cannon, keeping my eyes on my husband-to-be.

Almost two decades have passed. I still keep my eyes on him; marveling every day that I ended up with such an amazing man.

Happy 19th Anniversary, Baby!
"...I found the one my heart loves..." (Song of Solomon 3:4)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous day it was. You were such a gorgeous bride. Wish I could match your eloquence. I'm such a lucky guy. Here's to many more years together.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! 1989 seems like a different world now, doesn't it. Thank God you have had each other and I pray that you have long years together still followed by an eternity with each other and our God.